Sunday, October 11, 2009

Things I love.....

This is going to be a long rambling post, so if you're not feeling it, just look at the photos and leave me a comment. If you want to hear the crazy woman in West Virginia talk about things that probably don't interest you, grab a cup of coffee or tea or whatever, sit down and read, it's going to be a good one!!

I've always know that I love music, all kinds of music. I have every thing from opera to bluegrass, pop to rap, blues to gospel. I just love music!! I love photography as well. I'm just getting into it hot and heavy lately, but I love it just the same.

So, when I get the opportunity to combine the two, well, basically I'm in "tall grass" as my Pap used to say. Living in West Virginia, I usually get several opportunities a week to go somewhere and listen to Bluegrass/Country music. I don't go every week, but I am making a habit of going to the Lion's Club on the second Saturday of the month.

This Saturday was bittersweet for me. My youngest son, Will (the musician), married his lovely girlfriend, Ashley, today in Delphos Ohio. I didn't have any way to get there, I don't have a car and have a very limited income, so I have been down all day. I feel so guilty that I wasn't here, although my son says it's okay and not to worry about it (I know he's just saying that to make me feel better.....I'm his mother, I know when he's lying) today was still a tough day. So, I decided to go to the sing at the Lion's club.

When we first got there I went in for a few moments and they went back outside. My friend David was outside and there were several pickers out there as well. One of them, Bill, was plucking around on a mandolin, and the only thing that I could think of was my son.  I didn't know if I could stay to watch the rest of the groups or not.  I was almost in tears and, being who I am, I didn't want anyone to know.

So, as usual, I hid behind my camera.  (maybe that's why I love photography so much, I can be in the center of whatever is going on, yet be unseen....hmmmmm, maybe I should ask some therapist or something, ya think?)  So, here are the pictures of my Saturday night trying to keep it together.

This is Dave.  He and his wife Esther are two of the best people I've ever met!

This is Bill.  He's a pretty good picker.  He says Dave taught him the mandolin.

Here are Dave, Bill and on the right Art.  Dave loves listening to them.

This is Esther, David's wife with the best looking "man" in the place.  In this picture it's hard to tell which one of them is the most ornery....but I'll tel ya.... it's Esther!

That's Dave's sister, Ruth, on the right.

I was inside for a while, and then back outside, then back in.  I almost wore out the hinges on the door.  I couldn't sit still for too long, but I tried to get some pictures (I got quite a few).  One of the times I was outside, I jumped up and walked along the bench seats there....Esther though something was wrong, but it was just the sun on the clouds.

There were singers, pickers, banjo players, and fiddlers.  It was a good evening.  Here are just some random pictures.









All in all, it was a good evening.  We left before the "jam" session, but Esther, David and I were all tired.  They brought me home and then headed off toward their own home.  I stood and watched them drive away, telling them to be careful of the deer and feeling truly thankful that I have two such wonderful people in my life.

When I came inside I was greeted by the usual chorus of yips, barks, meows and purrs.  Everyone seemed happy that I was home......everyone, that is, with the exception of Pattywack.  He was laying on the back of the chair and slowly turned to look at me as though I were an intruder.  Then he turned back to gaze at himself in the mirror.  (I was given several mirrors and I'm in the process of re-doing one of the and have it stored behind the chair in the living room so it isn't in the way and is in no danger of being broken,)  Anyway, this is what my dear, loving little fur demon looked like as he lounged on the chair.


Notice the most interesting thing (to him) is his own reflection.  This conceited little jerk laid there, gazing at himself, for almost an half of a hour.

He finally, after 10 minutes of "who loves you" (at this point, NOT me), "aren't you a pretty kitty" (he obviously thought so) and "awwww" (this was only to cover the gagging sound I was making by then) he lowered himself to look at the camera.  Notice how smug he looks.

Anyway, I finally got a picture of the most conceited cat in history, let the doggies out, gave everyone treats (would you believe the great conceited one expected me to CARRY his treat to him??  Boy, was he disappointed.  The dog ended up with it.) and managed to get into my pj's.  Then I sat down and begin to upload the many pictures that I had taken tonight.  I sent a few to Esther and uploaded the rest.  

So that's about it for me.

How was you're night?


No comments: