Friday, September 11, 2009

Do you remember?

Do you remember what you were doing at 9 in the morning eight years ago today? How could any of us forget?

My daughter had missed the school bus, so I had to take her to school that day. It was about 15 miles from where we were living to the High School, so it took a little while. We were less than 5 miles from the school when a special news report interrupted the country song we were listening to. At first we thought it was some sort of sick joke, there was no way that America could be under attack. Then, as emotion made the voice on the radio break down into sobs, my daughter and I realized that this wasn't a joke, this wasn't a dream, and we realized that our beloved country was under attack for the first time since Pearl Harbor.

I remember my daughter's voice and the look of horror on her 10-year-old face. I remember the fear that I felt, fear for my children, fear for my grandchildren and most of all, fear that the United States of America would never again be the same. I remember pulling over and sitting in silence as we listened to the events that would forever leave a scar on our Nation. I remember my daughter's courage in wanting to go to school to be with others her own age, I remember the tear that rolled down her cheek as she told me she loved me before heading into the school.

That tear will forever shine like a beacon of light in the darkest night. My daughter showed me the face of courage, of strength and of the hope for this country. She, and millions of other young people across this country, faced the tragedy that was unfolding with unwavering belief that no matter what laid in store for us, we, as a Nation, would persevere.

On the fateful day eight years ago the adults were frightened, they spoke in whispers with dread dripping from their voices. Eight years ago today I saw fear, horror and pain in the eyes of each and every adult around me.

In my daughter’s eyes I saw fear tempered with hope, I saw grief for the missing, the dead and the families that lost loved ones intertwined with a spark of joy for each person that made it out. In her beautiful blue eyes I saw the future.

Please, take a moment today remember the ones we lost and to look to the young people that hold the future of this Nation in their hands.

Bless you all.

No comments: