Thursday, September 10, 2009

Good Morning!!

Good Morning all!! It's a balmy 60 degrees in sunny Calhoun County with 87% humidity! It was hazy this morning, well, foggy actually, but it is clearing up and looks to becoming a nice day.

Last evening I went "cemetary stomping". Now, I know that it sounds as though I went out to a local cemetary and stomped around like an idiot.....but what I actually did was go to a local cemetary and take some pictures. For those of you that don't know, I enjoy doing gravestone rubbings, although I haven't been able to do that for a while so I take pictures instead. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of time and effort that have been put into some of the monuments, especially when you think about the fact that the stone-cutters didn't have the equiptment that is available today.

Most of the headstones I photographed last evening were not that old, early 1900's and up. But there were still some amazing stonework.

Here are a few pictures (these are from the Wright Cemetary, above the Career Center in Calhoun County WV):

Close up of rose stonework:

Perhaps this grave marker was the brother or maybe the father of "Baby Bush", both stones have the same stonework rose:

This grave is of a married couple. I've never seen a stone with these words (notice close up):


Makes you wonder if Naomi is still with us, doesn't it? Here is a close up of the rose stone work, notice the different style of rose on this one:

Here's a verse on one of the tombstones that I just love:


Some of the stones were very plain, some had little decoration, it doesn't seem to matter as to when the stones were set. Here are a few random pictures of some of the gravestones:


The two oldes stones weren't at actual graves. They seemed to have been just set under a tree, there was no way to tell if the graves were actually there, or if the stones had fallen or been disturbed.


While we were out it looked as though we were going to get wet. The rain was moving in fast and I didn't think that it would miss up, but as luck would have it, the storm passed just to the south and east of us. Here are a few pictures of the storm moving in. If you notice, you can actually see the rain streaking the sky.





Of course while we were out we saw some deer. Here are a few pictures, notice the bucks!:



No comments: