Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day 2009 thoughts

Well youngins’, after a little over a month I’m back. And most appropriately on Labor Day, for I have been laboring to finally have a real home where I can stay for as long as I desire and do what-so-ever it is that I desire. I’m almost there.

For those of you that don’t realize what today actually is, meaning what Labor Day is all about; I’ve decided to give you a very brief history lesson. Here we go, if you don’t want to read this, just skip a few paragraphs and I’ll be jabbering about something else, I’m sure.

The first American Labor Day was held on Sept. 5, 1882 in New York City. It was soon celebrated in 5 states and the District of Columbia. In 1894, after the deaths of 13 labor strikers and the wounding of 57 more, then President Grover Cleveland rushed a bill through Congress making the first Monday in Sept a National Holiday in celebration of "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations” (Wikipedia) followed by a festival for laborers and their families.

Basically he was trying to prevent yet another strike. The bill passed only six days after the end of a strike (the Pullman Strike) that brought National attention to the injustices of workers and the hard-handedness of our Government. (Gee, does this sound familiar??)

Anyway, from being a celebration to honor the hard work of the American people, Labor Day has become the official end of Summer and day of cookouts and family get-togethers. But of course, the social and economic achievement of the American worker is on the decline, isn’t’ it??

Happy Labor Day, y’all. Try and think about what the day really stands for and give a moment of thanks to those that have come before us, they lived and died in hardships for our annual backyard barbeques.

Now, on to lighter subjects. As I mentioned before, I have moved. I’m in an actual house now, not a trailer, and I have RUNNING WATER!!! LOL For those of you that didn’t realize it, having running water is a blessing for which none of us are thankful enough.

The fur-demons have adapted well. Although I do believe that I need to get “kitten” (the nameless one) to a good animal psychologist. You see, he thinks he’s a DOG!! Yes really, a dog.

He insists on going out into the yard when Bitty goes out. Once he’s out there he squats and pees (or what ever) and then he comes in. He won’t eat cat treats, but he will “sit pretty” for a dog treat, including a Milk bone. Basically, if the dogs will eat it, so will he. If the cat will eat it, he will NOT. He sleeps with the dogs, plays with dog toys, eats dog food and treats and does everything but bark. I think this feline is really confused as to his identity. But what do you expect, he doesn’t have a name….although I’ve considered PIMA…..you know as in Pain In My Ass. Maybe I should ask for help…….what do you think, want to help me name the nameless one???

Here he is in all his glory……help me come up with a name!!




Okay, now that we have that out of the way, did anyone notice the moon Friday night?? It was amazing!!! Here’s a picture:



Well kiddies, I’ve got to get myself motivated, I’ve got things to do and not near enough time to do them in!! Y’all have a good Labor Day, enjoy it and be safe!!

Blessings!

No comments: